I am a first time home buyer and I need your help to take the new space and a few furniture ideas and turn them into a cohesive design with documentation.
The “theme” for the room should be cozy elegance. It is for this reason that we are thinking of using the Crate and Barrel’s 93 inch Lounge sofa (93"Wx46"Dx25"H) as a key element. We wanted to have a comfortable yet stylish sofa that can withstand daily lounging, and additional chairs or poufs for extra seating for occasional parties. *Is there another, better way to satisfy our design intent?
We want colors/decorations that will make the room feel bigger. The design needs to work for a couple, not too feminine and not too masculine.
The two ‘nooks’ on left and right side of the fireplace should be fully utilized by the design. An initial idea for this is to have a combination of built-in shelving for books etc. with the first 2-3ft off the floor used to store pouf seating for parties. Fully utilizing the two (30w x 27d x 96h inch) recessed ‘nooks’ will benefit from a creative touch.
In addition, we would like to have a 36inch plasma TV mounted above the fire place covering the “void” shown in our pictures. Although we want access to the TV, it would be nice if it didn’t dominate the room.
We would like to implement your designs as closely as possible, so references to brand names/style codes/ dimensions of the design would be very helpful.
• Floor to ceiling about 8 feet
• Living room (not including dining room) 148 inches x 170 inches
• Each nook next to the fireplace 30 inches wide x 27 inches deep x about 8 feet tall.
Problems with the space:
• I would like to have new design because I don't like the current style (boring) and despise the wall color
• The two nooks on both sides of the fireplace currently not functional.
• I have a 36” flat screen tv, if possible, somehow disguise it but still accessible.
• The short ceiling makes the room feels small.
• Need window treatment for additional privacy without sacrificing the feeling of open space.
• The fireplace cannot be removed.
• There will be 36" flat screen tv
• Behind the painting on top of fireplace, there's actually void to place candles/frames/etc. see the picture of empty room.
• The cable connection is where the current tv is located.
• None of the current furniture will stay
Furnishings and Treatments Under Consideration:
• Crate & Barrel Lounge Sofa (93 inch long): http://tinyurl.com/78j6a3p
• West Elm Pouf: http://tinyurl.com/6txd35m
• Bonded Ottoman: http://tinyurl.com/ccv8636
All furnishings will need to fit into the entry way. The entrance door (not shown in pictures) is 35 inches x 80 inches.
- functional design (not too many "trinkets")
- comfortable yet stylish
- classic yet modern
- affordability (think Crate and Barrel, West Elm, CB2, Jordan’s)
- neutral or soft colors on walls
- bold prints on rugs and pillows are okay
- durable and deep seating for the sofa without being too bulky.
- floor lamps/pendants
- floral prints
- bold colored walls
- too traditional (dark, leather, wood)
- too modern (boxy, cold, all white)
- sofa without deep seating
- white walls
- non-functional space
The design needs to be affordable. For example, sofas need to be less than $2000, rugs less than $400, lamps less than $400.
- PLAN DRAWING: Scale 1/4"-1' (or 1/50)
- SECTION-ELEVATION VIEW(S) : Scale 1/4"-1' (or 1/50)
- PERSPECTIVE/AXONOMETRIC VIEWS (where relevant)
References to real products is essential. So we'll be able to buy the design.