Los Angeles, CA - Master Bath Remodel & Expansion
I would like you to prepare a plan for the total remodel and expansion of the master bathroom in my Los Angeles beach house. The master bath is on the 2nd floor and, as shown on the attached floor plan, it contains about 136 square feet. It is bounded by a balcony on the South that has nice views of the Pacific Ocean, the master bedroom on the West, a large hallway on the North, and our upstairs office on the East. It also includes a large, but mostly unused, sauna.
The remodeled bath should feel relaxing and “spa like.” An escape, enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning, and perhaps to de-stress in the evening.
We would like to execute the project within the next 12 months and would like to continue working with the winning designer, although the winning designer does not need to be in the same city.
Some things that you should consider:
1. The house has a 2 foot crawl space between the 1st and 2nd floors, which gives great flexibility for relocating plumbing and fixtures.
2. Incorporate the balcony space adjacent to and along the South of the existing bath (about 14.3 square feet adjacent) into the bathroom and add opening window(s). We’d like an ocean view, more light, and more space.
3. Separate the water closet with a door for more privacy. Consider a bidet, if there is room.
4. We would like both a tub and a separate shower/steam/sauna space with overhead rain head and shower heads.
5. Include a towel warmer.
6. Separate make-up table is NOT a priority. Please do not add.
7. We can take apart the sauna and reconfigure to any size. Perhaps incorporate into the shower/steam/sauna room above. For just 2-3 people maximum.
7. Add closets and storage - towel and sundries storage in the bathroom, winter coat and storage in the hallway (see Picture F-016), and linen, towel and other general storage where possible. Except for the South wall facing the balcony, none of the walls are load-bearing, so we can add remove or alter them or add doors to access new storage areas.
8. Add a coffee/tea station, possibly with an undercounter fridge.
9. Include a lounge/rest area, if possible.
10. Add a small tankless water heater that will serve only the master bathroom.
11. Include 2 separate sinks (his & hers).
12. NO CARPETS
13. The house exterior is shingle-style, along the lines of a Robert A.M. Sterns design.
Our selection criteria will revolve around the perceived feel of the remodeled space as an exotic escape, a world unto itself built for relaxation.
We are very visual and want to understand your design/work/thoughts by looking at them. An explanation in text format is OK if you think that is necessary to explain things that are not immediately apparent. So, with that in mind, the deliverables should be:
1. A layout, plan view, top view,
2. Sections and/or elevations
3. Bird’s eye views
4. Eye level views
5. Color renderings
The attached pictures were taken from the points A - F labeled on the attached floorplan.