I need basic layout help for my basement - particularly where and how to locate the laundry room and bathroom. Secondary would be where to put in some sleek storage (for tools, snowboard, golf clubs, etc.. Thirdly, While you are at it, can you think of something cool to add in the basement - mini-bar/beer fridge?
Can you give me a good plan?
My basement has been demolished, as it had been a hack job, and is now ready for renovating. With some walls and ceilings open and with the floors down to the concrete, we now have the ability to re-locate the bathroom and/or laundry to make it a better layout. Plumbing is open and we can dig new drains if we have to..
Prior to demolition, we mainly used the laundry room on the North side. The area at the bottom of the stairs on the North side (outside of laundry room) was big enough to use as an office or mini gym but it was weird space in between the laundry, stairs and the larger living area to the south. The bathroom was on the south side and poorly built and on an elevated platform (drain was not dug into floors). The living space on the South side was used as storage.
42'6" long X 14'6" wide - see images
Stairs basically split the rectangle in two.
Style: I like modern contemporary with straight lines, light floors, etc. It doesn't really matter though for this project as I am looking at layout.
- Can we re-locate the bathroom on to the North side of bsmt and combine with laundry room? Can you come up with a wicked design for these two rooms? Maybe have a central plumbing wall down the middle and rooms on either side?
Or do you combine into one room but in a classy way? This would take away from having a nice laundry room what my wife wants but we would save space for the rest of the basement.
? Would you stack the washer/dryer? Can you find enough space to have a bit of folding area? Can the bathroom and laundry fit into the North area given the space taken up by furnace, water tank and sump pump in the NE corner? There is water supply and drains that could accommodate moving the bathroom into this area. Note, you can use up the open space at the bottom of the stairs outside of the old laundry room if this helps give more space.
- If both bathroom and laundry can be put on the North side, we can open up the living area to 19'x14'6", what cool things could we have? Perhaps a mini wet bar/counter and beverage fridge where the old bathroom was (fridge under the stairs?). I will probably wire for surround in that area too..
- We still would need some closets or built in shelves, etc to store golf clubs, tools, suitcases or stuff like that. Where could we put that in this basement?
- Thinking of built in shelves and TV in the South side living area East wall. Do you agree or where would you put it?
- Is there a way to also make this living room a guest bedroom apartment? Can you think of something cool like sliding barn doors or pocket doors, double french doors to be able to close off the space?
Many thanks for your consideration!