Looking to update the facade of our 1997 home in Half Moon Bay California. The goal of the project is to update the facade of the home, eliminate the unnecessary gables, all while incorporating a second floor deck/balcony/window to realize the ocean views. We could like to have either a small deck above the front entry where there is currently a picture window above a small gable. Or we would elect to build a large deck the stretches the entire front of the house from side to side. For the large deck, it would cantilever over the garage entry and span across the front entry way eliminating the small gable over the front door Double/french doors would/could be installed below the three rectangular windows seen at the front peak of the house. If we go with the small deck we would like to have a large picture window installed below the three rectangular windows where we could have a desk/reading area and look out. We are equally excited about each design but we are having a very difficult time picturing the finished project, hence this effort.
The design would ideally have clean modern lines but still embody the coastal/cottage vibe that we love. Couple notes/thoughts:
- Note that the deck cannot extend past the front of the foremost roof-line of the house due to a set back.
- The landscaping is currently scheduled to occur and the driveway will have new pavers, the tree will be removed and the blue stone rock walls/entry way will be constructed.
- Please include a garage door design/idea in your submission.
- The entire top floor you see above is the master bedroom. The master bath is located on the far right of the front of the house pictures and the bedroom is the rest of the space. The ceilings are vaulted int the bedroom following the roof line of the house.
- We do not like the color of the house and would like to update the color scheme as well. We like clean and understated but not boring colors.
- Our budget for the project will be approx $40-$60k.
- No original drawings of the house are available. However the joist in the garage run from right to left in the photograph (not back to front) and are 2x12'' joist.
- The house faces W/SW.
About us. We are a married couple in our 30's starting a family here shortly. She leans towards modern/mid century but is a small town girl at heart. I like a bit more traditional/bungalow/craftsmen styles but do appreciate the inclusion of some modern lines.