• We are currently using our spaces in a very poor manner, and there is a ton of clutter. This is a great opportunity to take these two mis-managed spaces and make them work for our family of four.
• We have a great deal of western exposure light, but our interior lighting is lacking. We need more light!
• We are not tied to any pieces of furniture. We are willing to sell and start entirely fresh or repurpose some of our current pieces into a new design. Almost all of our furniture has been handed-down to us, so should not be reflective of our taste.
• The upstairs currently has a built-in desk, which we are not wed to, and would be willing to remove.
• The one piece we’d like to keep is our white dining table and chairs and our king-sized bed. (although it could use a headboard or frame)
Budget & Timeline
• Our budget is $20-25K. We are happy to take a high/low approach and for example mix less expensive IKEA pieces with more expensive Restoration Hardware, Crate and Barrel or Design within Reach.
• We are looking to implement the design immediately upon receipt, but will do so with the vision of living in these spaces for the next 5-7 years. So looks that are relatively timeless are ideal.
• We prefer contemporary and modern styles. We like clean lines and fresh looks, but also would like them to be warm and inviting. Also we’d prefer paint colors that make rooms look bigger rather than smaller. The pacific northwest can be cold, grey and gloomy for most of the year, so we’d welcome the use of cheerier, warmer tones.
• The downstairs space must function as a family-room (a place where kids and their friends can hang out, watch TV etc. as they become pre-teens and teens) as well as desk workspaces for two middle-school kids, eating area, and entranceway.
• The upstairs space must function as a family-room (a place where adults can hang out, watch TV etc.) as well as two adult desk workspaces and master bedroom.
• One of the adult workspaces can be situated into the master bedroom if needed, although it must take advantage of the beautiful Western view.
• We need more file storage space included in the adult workspaces, and storage space in general.
• As an aside, we love the look of entire walls of books. (although this isn’t a necessity)
• We have 2 indoor cats who’ve been known to claw at/and ruin furniture and area rugs. This is one reason we’ve not invested in furniture to date. Having a creative alternative for them i.e. an enticing scratching post(s), which are not eye-sores would be helpful.
• The cats also sometimes have digestive issues, so our carpet has taken a beating. We don’t like the look of pergo. We may put hardwoods on the stairs and upstairs (separate budget.) However, if there is a creative solution i.e. stained concrete, painted wood etc. for the upstairs floors do make suggestions!
• Please layout, recommend and source items. Include paint colors, bedroom linens, lighting, window treatments, wall art etc.
• We can work with a carpenter on any built-in solutions and an electrician on any lighting solutions that are recommended. But costs of labor need to be factored into the overall budget.
• Photos and floorplans with dimensions are attached.
• We’d like a plan view and 3D rendering(s) of the space. Please include specific products from retailers when possible. For custom work, I'd like something I can take to a contractor. Suggestions for art, décor, fabrics, color, etc would be great.
• I would like specific suggestions for furniture, décor, art, etc from retailers.