We purchased our brand new home a couple of weeks ago but the interior is plain and we want to make it more luxurious and give it a more modern/contemporary design. We will eventually remodel the entire interior of the home, but are going to do the work in stages. In fact we have just finished remodeling our TV room and we have a competition going on right now here on ArcBazar to design our office.
The goal of this project is to design a nursery for our soon to be born baby boy. This is our first child and we want to give him a beautiful contemporary looking room that he will enjoy for years to come. The room has a closet which must also be designed. Here is our list of requirements:
1. The room must have a crib and a changing table.
2. The room must also have a rocking chair with some foot support (perhaps an ottoman?)
3. There must be some built in furniture with ample storage space for toys, diapers, cleaning products, etc. in addition to the closet.
4. At least one wall must feature some wall decals. Please see links below for some examples of what we are looking for.
5. The room must contain some ceiling interest such as a tray ceiling. Please keep in mind that the ceiling in only 8’ tall.
6. We must be able to completely darken the room so the windows must contain some form of window treatment (curtains + roman shades?)
7. We want the room to grow with the baby - that is, we don't want to remodel the room again in 3 years because we customized the room too heavily for an infant.
1. The closet must contain space for hangers and shoes.
2. The closet must have drawers and shelves
3. The closet must contain lights (backlit glass behind shelves? Strip lights?)
4. The closet must be both beautiful and functional
Ideas to consider:
1. Some place where we can attach drawings or photos would be a plus
3. Floor lamp
Wall decals examples include:
I have attached both Sketchup and Chief Architect drawings of the room. All measurements are accurate to 1/4 of an inch. I have also attached JPGs of each wall with measurements in both inches and centimeters.
The location, size and type of the entry door may be changed if needed.be. The floors are in great condition and we want to preserve them as is. We also do not want to move or change the windows.
We are interested in having a clean modern looking room. When I say modern I think a contemporary design leaning toward modern is a good description of what we are looking for. We also want to increase the resale value of the home, so we don't want to get anything too "unique" that will scare away potential buyers in the future.
We are looking for some architecture interest including a nice looking ceiling and perhaps some wall interest (nooks or crannies for art or lights?)
We have spent some time on Houzz.com looking for nurseries we like. It might be beneficial for you to look at the pictures we’ve saved.
The link is here: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/5573205/thumbs/nursery
I have attached a picture of our recently renovated TV room which should give you an idea of the style we are targeting here.
Finally, I took a first stab at designing the room but I am not too happy with it: I am not particularly happy with how the ceiling looks like nor 100% happy with the storage furniture. Even the layout needs improvement: having the crib next to the window and directly under halogen lights is probably not the smartest choice.I am sure somebody here will come up with something much nicer! My first stab is by no means a complete project neither. It is just a first stab. It is missing many key things such as the design of the closet and room decoration. The furniture is just some furniture I chose to check for size - it not anything I particularly care about - specially the rocking chair. Anyway, you can start from this or you can build something completely from scratch. Either way works for me but just remember that if I was happy with my drawing I would not have started an ArcBazar competition! :). I have attached this file as well.
We will evaluate the design on functionality, looks and overall attention to detail. We are very detailed oriented so attention to detail – in the smallest things – is very important to us. This includes location of light switches, types of lighting, closet design, functionality and overall layout of the room and closet.
I want people to walk in into the room and say “wow”. The “wow” factor is key. Cost wise the room should cost under 20k including all built ins and furniture.