• Remodel outdated and worn out kitchen
o Replace all cabinetry, appliances, and furniture
o Want to replace tile floor in kitchen with hardwood; like earth tone colors ; but willing to keep open mind
• Better utilization of kitchen space; movement of pantry within kitchen space; removal or replacement of walls as appropriate
o We eat family meals in kitchen. Wife would like an island in kitchen but not sure if that is feasible and still have room for eat-in kitchen
o Kitchen has soffit where cabinets are, but we are open to doing away with that for more space
o Low ceiling in pantry/powder room hallway contains heating return duct routing back into HVAC unit in utility room
• Increase space of family room; potentially switch the living room space (seldom used) with current family room space
o Would like to have some separation of front entry from family room vs. just walking into main living space like an apartment (if feasible in design)
o New living room could be smaller sitting room/home office
• Dining room is used occasionally but is a bit cramped if leaf is in table –can’t fit 2nd leaf in table unless table is turned 90 degrees and extended into living room.
• Two story colonial style home built in 1959
• Presently 2 adults, 3 teenagers and 1 dog living in the home
• Current family room can’t fit all of us in the room comfortably
• We used to have people over more often but we don’t any longer because we are embarrassed by our kitchen & family room setup.
• Wife likes country style; husband would like more modern/updated design & décor.
• We like the look of crown molding and I would add more in family room and/or kitchen (including door/archways), but we feel like that would simply be putting lipstick on a pig at this point until full remodel happens.
• Not considering changing footprint of current exterior walls
Maximization of functional living space / utility of the design
Affordability of design - interesting in something more than basic remodel, but not looking for everything custom/made to order
Blend of modern & traditional/country tastes (husband/wife)