The Taradale Intermediate technology block was built in the late 1960's and is now due for an upgrade so that the school can better deliver the requirements of the New Zealand technology curriculum.
The technology block footprint is 654 square metres.
Technology curriculum includes:
- food technology
- soft materials technology (sewing)
- mixed materials technology (wood / metal / plastics)
- digital technology
Utilizing the same building footprint.
- provide a flexible learning space that will be able to meet the current & future needs of the technology curriculum
- innovative technology learning space so that teachers can better deliver the technology curriculum
- maximum efficiency of space
- reduce noise interruptions in other spaces, while still maintaining the ability to keep open spaces where possible.
- this block to be passively ventilated and heated if possible.
- PV technology and the capture of rain water could be included in the design that would be advantageous.
- use of sustainable materials
- use of sustainable design to maximise sunlight for heating / ventilation / cooling / lighting
Would not like:
- space that cannot be used for more than 1 purpose (eg sinks / ovens in middle of rooms restricts usage, however along walls with moveable tables in middle can open space for multiple uses